Thursday, October 10, 2013

End of an era - Sachin Tendulkar announces retirement


Ending months of speculation, Sachin Tendulkar has announced to quit all forms of cricket. Tendulkar, who has already announced retirements from twenty-twenty and ODIs, will play his last Test match (200th) at his home venue at the Wankhede.

"All my life, I have had a dream of playing cricket for India. I have been living this dream every day for the last 24 years. It’s hard for me to imagine a life without playing cricket because it’s all I have ever done since I was 11 years old. It’s been a huge honour to have represented my country and played all over the world. I look forward to playing my 200th Test Match on home soil, as I call it a day," the master batsman said in a statement released by the BCCI on his behalf.

"I thank the BCCI for everything over the years and for permitting me to move on when my heart feels it's time! I thank my family for their patience and understanding. Most of all, I thank my fans and well-wishers who through their prayers and wishes have given me the strength to go out and perform at my best."

The announcement immediately evoked emotional reactions as Tendulkar fans took to the social media expressing their sentiments. His teammates in the Indian dressing room, and outside it, were also not far behind in expressing their thoughts. 

"Privileged to have seen a child prodigy gone on to become a true legend of the game from very close quarters. All the best Sachin," tweeted Sanjay Manjrekar.

Not far behind were his friends and admirers in the media.

 "We all kind of expected the announcement some day. But now that it is here, its hard to soak in, no matter what your views," tweeted television commentator and presenter Gautam Bhimani.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts